3.27.2015

My KVM Guide Part I: The Beginning


So, I started working at Nutanix a few weeks ago, and our platform ships with KVM by default.  Cool… no problem, I can learn that, except for the fact that I could not find a very comprehensive resource online that takes you through from an overview of the architecture through configuration and example, tips, tricks, etc.  Therefore, Jen will build her own.

So what exactly is KVM?  The Kernel-based Virtual Machine (KVM) is an open source hypervisor that runs on Linux.  It’s purpose in the world serves the same as that of ESXi or Hyper-V: a hypervisor that aids in the consolidation of physical servers into virtual machines for resource and cost savings. 

While starting my search for applicable resources,  I found what seems to be a promising book on QEMU, KVM, Xen + libvirt: http://qemu-buch.de/de/index.php?title=QEMU-KVM-Book
… if you speak German.  The English translation was not so readable for me, but you could maybe fuddle your way through it.  KVM installation is covered pretty thoroughly at the following site: http://pacita.org/books/server-setup/output/pdf/doc.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment